New Brazil Electronic Visa (E-Visa)
As of January 25, 2018, Brazil has made it easier to obtain a Brazilian Tourist Visa, and has also sped up the process. Currently, Brazil has a reciprocal visa system. If you are arriving from a country that requires Brazilians to have a visa to travel to your country, then you are required to obtain a visa to enter Brazil. Countries that require a visa include the United States, Canada, Australia, Japan and others.
Previously, American citizens were required obtain the visa at their nearest Brazilian consulate office. The visa had to be obtained in person, but you could also hire a visa service to handle the details and appear for you. This generally involved filling out a form and then mailing your passport to the visa service; they obtained the visa at the consulate and then mailed the passport back to you.
This traditional method can still be done directly, either by visiting the Brazilian consulate closest to you or by using a visa service company. There are numerous passport and visa service companies, which you can see by googling “Brazil visa.” This method allows American citizens to obtain a visa that is valid for 10 years (regardless of passport validity), and that permits a visit of up to 90 days each time the bearer enters Brazil, with a limit of 180 days per year. While visa processing time varies by consulate and mail service, it the process generally takes around 2-4 weeks.
As of January 25, 2018, Americans can apply online for an e-Visa. Canadian, Australian and Japanese citizens can also apply online for the e-Visa. The e-Visa is valid for up to 2 years, or until your passport’s expiration date, and allows for visits of up to 90 days (with a limit of 90 days per calendar year).
In order to apply for the e-Visa, follow these steps:
- Prepare your documentation:
– 1 digital jpeg passport photo, measuring 413 pixels (width) x 531 pixels (length), file size less than 300 kb. An online photo resizer that is free of charge can be found by clicking this link.
– 1 digital jpeg photo of your passport bio page, measuring 2065 pixels (width) x 2655 pixels (length), file size less than 700 kb.
A sample of the above mentioned items can be found here: https://brazil.vfsevisa.com/Brazil-Online/Content/SamplePassportBioandPhoto.pdf
FAQ’s about the e-Visa application process can be found here: http://vfsglobal.com/brazil-evisa/faqs.html
- Visit this website: http://vfsglobal.com/brazil-evisa/ and apply online.
- Pay the fee via Visa, MasterCard, or Union Pay credit or debit card ($44.24 in total at the time of this writing).
- Download the e-Visa and print a paper copy. Be prepared to present the e-Visa upon entry to Brazil.
That’s it! If the new, simplified e-Visa has you thinking about a trip to Brazil, contact one of our qualified Destination Specialist to assist you. Click here to discover our Brazil itineraries.